welcometothefuture

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Autumn Leaves

green place
Leaves changing colors. Autumn in full swing.

Raking ranks HIGH on my list of things to do.

The kind of day you want to stretch out on the hammock and let the falling leaves cover you.

But after chasing only ONE LEAF, I got busy.

It seems we always have more to do.

Well, there will be more leaves to play with tomorrow because it is raining hard tonight.

I love how the ash tree loses all of its leaves before most of the other trees really get started. Then it is fascinating that the individual leaflets fall one day and the stem falls a few days later.

I would like to say that is a "smart tree" conserving water resources and not letting anything leak out an unsealed petiole, but then someone would accuse me of humanizing the tree and that would be an injustice to the tree.

I think the ash tree in our yard is perhaps one of the most peaceful places around here. Echoes of an old song ring in my mind. . . down yonder green valley the ash grove enchanting... ta dee dee I forgot the rest of the words at the moment. ... I pensively roam. tis there where the blackbird is la la la la singing and so it goes.

Peaceful and enchanting.

Wish more of the world could be that way.

No comments: