welcometothefuture

Monday, January 15, 2007

A Great Man of Peace and Justice - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Today take some time to Remember and Honor

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major.
Say that I was a drum major for justice.
Say that I was a drum major for peace.
Say that I was a drum major for righteousness.
And all of the other shallow things will not matter.
I won't have any money to leave behind.
I won't have the fine and luxurious things in life to leave behind.
But I just want to leave a committed life behind.
And that's all I want to say.
If I can help somebody as I pass along,
if I can cheer somebody with a word or song,
if I can show somebody he is traveling wrong,
then my living will not be in vain."


Excerpted from "The Drum Major Instinct", a sermon by Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., 1968. Available on CD and print in A Knock At Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

Indeed it is our lives and actions today that continue to MAKE a Difference.


Let Peace Begin On Earth
And Let it Begin with Me.

I first heard this song in Wilmington Delaware in 1970 at Gray Elementary School and it touched my heart and changed my life.

It was this experience with inner-city schools that planted the seeds of non-violence firmly in my heart.





No comments: