welcometothefuture

Monday, November 11, 2019

Silent Surprise

A lively and loud fifth grader was reluctant to participate in the silent spaces activity I was leading.
His teacher warned me to keep an eye on him because he is quite rambunctious.

The five minutes of silent focused attention in the forest was new for all of her students.
Once the students were settled at their solitary silent space, the teacher and I strolled through the area.

It was impressive to see so many students honoring the silence, including the hyperactive fellow.
I saw him writing in his logbook and wondered if he would share it.

He shared it with his teacher and returned to the group with a Silent SMILE!
I smiled back, feeling thankful that he did not disrupt the activity.

When their field trip was over, he said to me, “Thanks! That was great!
 It is never that quiet at my house! My little brothers are always yelling. And Mom yells back!”

His teacher told me he was the oldest child with 5 younger brothers. He rarely sees his father.
He is usually hungry and wears the same clothes all week.

What a gift that guided silent time was for him!

A few peaceful moments in his chaotic life made a difference.

I wonder who else could benefit from such an introduction to calmness in the forest.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great blog post capturing a truly special moment!

greenehawke said...

Thanks.

greenehawke said...

Thanks- it was indeed very special.